Monday, August 2, 2010

Chinese New Year green pea cookies recipe

Finally, I baked the Chinese New Year green pea cookies like the ones my sister-in-law gave me. She gave me a general recipe like one cup of this, two cups of that, a pinch of this and that.
Green pea cookie is getting popular during Chinese New Year because it looks like jade and those roundish cookies are tasty too.
green pea cookies
See my cookies with the jade lanterns ornaments I hang on the pussy willow at home. So matching, right?
ground almond and green peas
I do not have enough green peas as I bought only RM2.00 from the mamak kacang putih. I tried to remove as much skin of the peas as I can because the colourings are mostly on the skin. I rubbed the skin to remove them and then, using a colander I tried to sieve the broken skin. Then, using a nut grinder from my blender attachment, I grind the green peas. The recipe calls for equal amount of ground peas with flour. But I only have 150 grams of green peas. I substitute the balance 100 grams with ground almond.
green pea
Please note that the green peas I used are those sold as snacks, which is fried and lightly salted. It is not the canned green peas or frozen green peas.
DSCF0038.JPG
As usual, it takes a while to roll those into balls. So, get comfy, get a drink, tune to your favourite TV channel, sit down and roll them while watching TV.
greenpea cookies
The green pea cookies waiting for their egg wash.
DSCF0041.JPG
My little boy and hubby making alien cookies.
green pea cookies
So, here is the recipe for Chinese New Year green peas cookies :
Pre-heat oven to 170 deg celcius. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
Ingredients :
250 gram wheat flour
250 gram ground green peas (if the peas have been salted when bought, omit salt. If not, put a pinch of salt
150 gram icing sugar
150 ml corn oil
Method :
1) In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, ground green peas and icing sugar. Mix well with your hands, making sure there are not lumps or whole peas.
2) Add oil and knead well. This is to get the sugar to melt and also combining the ingredients properly. You should get a dough that does not break or crumble easily. Otherwise, add a bit more oil.
3) Roll the dough into tiny balls. Make an indent on top. I used the back of a pen, washed and cleaned of course.
4) Give the cookies an egg wash. Just beat an egg YOLK only and brush on the top.
5) Bake at 170 degree celcius for about 20-25 minutes.
I get a coarse but crunchy texture cookies. I love the green peas cookie this way, compared to the totally fine and gluey texture which sometimes make you unable to talk because the cookie sort of melt and glue your mouth together. LOL.
So, give this cookie a try. It is not that difficult to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment