Monday, August 2, 2010

Chinese New Year traditional cakes – Bee hive

I had made this bee hive cake before but it was too tedious. So, after one attempt, the brass mould is getting mouldy. In fact, I cannot even remember where I stuffed it.
bee hive chinese new year cake - kuih ros
Many years later, I have one kid who likes this bee hive cake. Otherwise, this is never a feature in our home during Chinese New Year. In Hokkien we call it phang-siew koay. I think the Malay name is kueh ros?
It is actually quite easy to do. If you get your batter right, it is a breeze. Just dip the very hot mould (you heat it up by dipping it in hot oil) into the batter. Immediately put the batter covered mould into the hot oil. The batter will detached from the mould.
You need to use a chopstick to gently shape the batter and make sure it has even brown tone by turning it in the oil without making it out of shape. Usually, if there are two person doing it, then, it is much easier and faster.
kueh ros
No one is so patient at home to do these tasks. I am also one of those impatient one who cannot concentrate for long on tedious tasks like these. So, all I need is to fork out some money and buy a container.
I bought one from Him Heang. It costs RM12.50 but it is sooooo crispy and nice. My youngest boy loves this. Now, I am considering making it myself.
But that means:
1) Dig out the mould
2) Find a reliable recipe
3) Find someone willing to stand by the hot, boiling oil to fry it
4) Find willing guinea pigs to finish them if I can’t get it tasty and crispy.
On second thought, I think I will just waste another RM12.50 should my kids want more. Life is too short to be bothered with hot boiling oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment